JOHANNESBURG, 05.04.2016: The South African Council of Churches (SACC) has said it was “not prepared” to accept the apology offered by President Jacob Zuma around the Nkandla debacle.
Last week the Constitutional Court delivered a damning ruling in which it stated that Zuma had failed to “uphold, defend and respect the Constitution” when he did not adhere to the remedial actions called for by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela.
President Zuma apologised to the nation on national television on Friday night, stating that “any action not keeping with the constitution happened with different legal advice,” and that it had happened in “good faith”.
Public Protector Madonsela issued a report two years ago in which she stated that the millions that went into upgrading Zuma’s Nkandla-homestead had not all been rightfully used.
In a statement released on Tuesday SACC General Secretary Bishop Malusi Mpumlwana said that some church-leaders had expressed the opinion that Zuma should be recalled by the ruling African National Congress (ANC) and further requested the SACC to make this call.
“However the SACC has not acted on these numerous requests – preferring to engage with the ANC on long-term solutions to this and other national crises,” said Mpumlwana. He said that the SACC had requested an urgent meeting with Zuma and other top ANC-leaders including Cyril Ramaphosa, Gwede Mantashe, Baleka Mbete, Zweli Mkhize and Jessie Duarte.
“The SACC is not prepared to accept the apology offered by President Zuma to the people of South Africa for the Nkandla security-upgrades, and this will be tabled before the (ANC) Top Six.” Mpumlwana said that the ANC had acknowledged the meeting request and had agreed to meet the SACC during this week.
Source: Politiy , 05.04.2016